Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Time off for the doctor: is it good for patients?

     "Do you have clinics on Saturdays?" one of my patients asked me today. "No," I replied. "The company told me you had Saturday clinics," she countered. I had to explain to her that I did quite a few years back.

     This conversation made me think about why I no longer hold Saturday hours in my city clinics. I need to take time off to renew myself every week.

     I have been taking time off more or less regularly on an annual basis. I spend time in silence, prayer and deep conversation. This helps me renew in mind, body and spirit. This has become a habit such that I look forward to it when it is due, and I long for it when I am unable to do it at the usual time.

     My provincial clinic is a different story. Because I only go there a few days a month and my patients get agitated when I don't keep my scheduled days, I have been sticking strictly to my published dates. That is until this year. This April and May - when medical school is out - I have cut down my scheduled days.

     I wonder how my patients feel about their doctor taking time off - for weekends, for school breaks, and yearly. I hope they would agree that it is good for the doctor, and for them as well.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment