Monday, December 26, 2011

A geri-who?

downloaded from filipinolifeinpictures.wordpress.com 2011Dec28

A geriatrician is an internist or family physician who specializes in the care of the older person. 

Who needs a geriatrician? 
The older person does. Kids see a pediatrician. People with heart problems see a cardiologist. The older person should see a geriatrician.

But I (or my lolo or my lola) already see/s a cardiologist/diabetologist/etc?
Yes. The geriatrician can (and will) still help in the overall care of the older person.

What about if I (my lola/lola) am/is well?
The geriatrician can still help in two ways. First, in preventing disease or disability by suggesting personalized yet simple ways to do so. Second, by identifying "quiet" conditions that may lead to progressive disability or disease if not treated early.








No comments:

Post a Comment